The Halo series is one of my all-time favorite series, not just for a game, but for an episodic journey. It’s the reason I’ve stuck with Xbox for so long, despite a few “red circle of death” crashes and the Xbox Live monthly fee. However, after seeing the final specs for both the new Xbox One and the Playstation 4, I think the Playstation wins. However Playstation won’t have the new Halo, so despite all of its wins, that is a huge loss in my book.
And then there’s the controller…
Xbox wins and fails
Xbox One wins
- Halo 5
- Familiar controller
- Maintain current Xbox Live membership
- Lots of connectivity options, including HDMI in’s
- Kinect ships with it
Xbox One fails
- Internet is required to do anything
- It’s always on, which is kind of freaky
- Cloud-based everything
- No backwards compatibility with my Xbox 360 games
- Seriously annoying DRM and a game sharing fee
Playstation wins and fails
Playstation 4 wins
- Faster hardware
- Cheaper online subscriptions ($4.99 compared to Xbox Live $9.99)
- No DRM!
- Doesn’t require a constant internet connection
Playstation 4 fails
- No Halo (yes, this is a big deal for me)
- Unfamiliar controller
- Gamer reputation and achievements back to square one
I’m leaning towards a Playstation, but I’m not kidding when I say that Halo is a huge draw for me. The game is absolutely fantastic. Seriously.
If you’re thinking of picking up a new console, which are you considering and why?